Find out why one the UK’s ‘big four’ supermarkets continues to choose Bureau Veritas for Building Control Services across its estate of supermarkets, convenience stores and other outlets in the UK and Ireland.
In the UK, Building Regulations set the minimum standards for design, construction and alterations to virtually every building. The Building Regulations 2010 cover the construction and extension of buildings and are supported by Approved Documents and British Standards which set out detailed practical guidance on compliance.
Building Regulations in the UK are complex and change with new legislation. Keeping up with the latest requirements can be a difficult and time-consuming task for any commercial organisation. Furthermore, Building Regulation approval is a mandatory process, which must be gained through a third-party.
With constantly evolving property assets valued at £11bn, this leading supermarket chain sought a close relationship with an external, independent partner who could become the primary provider of building control services across England and Wales to ensure a consistent approach and continued compliance.
Since 2003, Bureau Veritas Building Control UK (previously operating as HCD Building Control) has provided building control services on all work streams including new stores, extensions and refurbishment, as well as the retailer’s convenience stores, petrol filling stations and distribution centres/depots.
Between 2010 and 2016 this equated to 932 projects, with an average of 133 per year.
We work closely with the retailer’s nominated contractors and their design teams to ensure a consistency of interpretation of Building Regulations across their estate nationwide.
• Pre-construction phase plan – pre-planning and pre-tender consultancy
• Full plan appraisal
• Building control inspections – continuous site inspection
• Full certification
In 2010 we were commissioned in our role as building control partner to write a fire safety guidance document for the client, giving guidance and interpretation on compliance with Approved Document B and BS9999 across all workstreams. This is used by all the client’s design teams and is regularly updated to reflect changes in guidance and interpretation.
Following the brand’s takeover of a rival retail group in 2016, Bureau Veritas Building Control UK also worked closely to integrate sales concessions into main stores around the country.
Key benefits of our service include:
• Independent, expert assessment and advice
• Confidence in regulatory compliance
• Effective management of construction risk throughout the building control approval process
• Efficient, cost effective solutions due to the application of value engineering
• Single point of contact and national coverage to ensure that the building control process runs smoothly and efficiently
• A hand in hand approach with the Fire Authority geared towards early approval significantly reduces risk
• Early involvement in the design team development process encourages dynamic and radical design solutions, providing a positive contribution to the development process and encouraging an innovative thought process in the interpretation of the Regulations
Want to know more?
Click here to download the full case study.
Click here to discover more about our Construction Consultancy services, including building control, fire safety engineering, CDM consultancy and civil/structural engineering services.